I am always looking for foods which are both healthy and satisfying. There’s nothing more disappointing than eating a meal which is full of goodness, but has no substance to enjoy. When I stumbled across #Funky Flexitarian Sausages I was impressed with the ingredients – meat and veg in one gorgeous sausage, gluten free, low in sugar, reduced fat and high in protein – win!
There are four sausage combinations to choose from – Smokey pork n’Bombay Beet bangers, Beef Tomato n’ Basil bangers, Cauli’nation Chicken Chipolatas and Lamb’alafal Chipolatas. I decided I wanted to put together a filling Autumnal meal using the Beef, Tomato and Basil sausages – a Sausage and Cider Stew. I really hope you make it and love it!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- A pack of #Funky Flexitarian Beef, Basil n’Tomato sausages
- 1 Onion
- 1 Leek
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 250ml of Strong Cider
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 pinches Dried Mixed Herbs
- 1 pinch Chilli Flakes
- 300ml Beef or Vegetable Stock
- 200g Sweet Potato (I use the frozen chunks)
- 2 Carrots
- Salt and P Pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the sausages for 30 seconds on each side. Put them to one side
- In the same pan, heat the rest of the olive oil over a medium heat and add the leek, onion and garlic. Cook until they go soft
3. Pour in the cider, turn up the heat and leave it to reduce
4. Add the herbs, tomato puree, and mustard and give it a good stir
5. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the carrots, sweet potato and chilli flakes
6. Cover the pan and reduce the stew to a simmer for 15 minutes
7. Slice the sausages into quarters and add to the pan after the 15 minutes, along with salt and pepper. Stir, cover and leave for another 15 minutes
Serve this meal with mash or just have a big yummy bowl to curl up on the sofa with like I did!
The #Funky Flexitarian sausages in this dish work beautifully with the other ingredients. You can currently purchase them from Waitrose.
Look out for more #Funky Flexitarian sausage recipes using the other flavours!
Find #Funky Flexitarian on Facebook here.